Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

C.I.O. TAKES ELI ELECTION

Wins Right to Bargain for Maids, Janitors, and Cops

As was generally expected in New Haven, the poll conducted by the Connecticut State Mediation Board among the service bureau employees last Friday resulted in a clear majority win for the C.I.O. Local 142 of the United Construction Workers. This victory gives the C.I.O. exclusive bargaining rights over 692 janitors, maids, maintenance men, and campus police.

The vote, in which 87 per cent of those eligible took part, was a landslide of 462 to 143 in favor of the national organization. The question under consideration was not that of a closed shop, but whether the employees favored collective union representation. Now that the C.I.O. has won, negotiators for a contract will consider such a possibility.

The union, which numbers many members among the employees, submitted a contract to the university early last month, proposing employee coverage by social security, unemployment insurance, a closed shop, the checkoff and seniority rights.