Eliot Elephants Worry Bellboys But Lose 13-0; Winthrop and Dunster Battle Ends in Tie, 0-0

Spotlight Today Centers On Adams-Kirkland Fight

By William J. Elser

Lowell continued its winning ways yesterday afternoon as they fought long and hard to gain a 13 to 0 decision over Eliot, while Winthrop and Dunster sweated through to a scoreless tie.

In winning its fourth straight victory, the Bellboys met some unexpected resistance from the Elephants. The first half half ended without either team scoring, but Eliot played the better ball fighting deep into Lowell territory.

In the third quarter the Bellboys sprang into action, and on a kick, safety man Dick Sorlien grabbed the ball off on his own 45 yard stripe and toted the ball 55 yards to ring up the winning points. Felmeth's pass to Sorlein added the extra point, and the score stood 7 to 0.

Axtell Snags Pass

Not satisfied with 7 points, Lowell came back in the fourth period. Felmeth started it with a twenty-yard pass to right end Axtell who caught the ball on Eliot's 30 and legged it over the goal behind the excellent interference of left and Elmer Taylor. Eliot fought hard, but when the chips were down, they didn't have the power to crack the Lowell defense.

Meanwhile, Winthrop and Dunster were struggling hard, taking turns pushing the ball up and down the field. The Puritans, minus powerful Stan Durwood, outplayed their rivals during the first half but were unable to score. With Durwood to carry the ball they might have been able to chalk up their first win instead of their second tie.

Dunster's big threat came in the final period. Two long runs by Cole and two passes, Ferdinand to Cole and Ferdinand to right and Hathaway brought the ball to the Puritan's nine yard marker. Winthrop dug in at this point and held for four downs. The Funsters tried a couple of passes, one a sleeper, but the Puritan safety man Ab Fenn, was not to be caught napping and broke up the play. The game ended with both teams passing madly but vainly in an attempt to break the scoreless tie.

This afternoon's battle between Kirkland and Adams may turn out to be the game for the league championship. Although they lost their first game to Dunster, the Gold Coasters came back fighting, beating the Ramblers 16 to 7 and running up one of the highest scores in House football history as they crushed Eliot 33 to 0.

Deacons Lack Drive

Their opponents, the Deacons of Kirkland, will be no soft touch. To date they are unscored upon, but have little to show in the way of scoring themselves. The question is whether their strong defense can check the Adams backs while the offense can muster enough push to score a touchdown or two.

On a second field, the Bunnies will tackle the Dudley Ramblers in what should be a tight game. So far this season, the Ramblers have failed to live up to their pre-season expectations, winning but one game, tying one, and losing one. Leverett, however, has two defeats compared to a lucky 7 to 6 win over the Elephants. When the final whistle blows, it should be Dudley by one touchdown.