SAILORS TAKE 2ND AT TECH

Fall Three Points Short of Winning Schell Trophy

Drifting in on a light westerly breeze yesterday, George Nichols, Jr. '43 and Daye Noyes '44 skippered their 12-foot Tech dinghies over the finish line on the Charles River basin to capture second place, three points behind favored Dartmouth, in the Erwin H. Schell Trophy Race.

Assisted by Charles Putnam '43 and George Angle '44, the Crimson skippers amassed a total of 83 points in the four finals races to leave 20 colleges from Maine to Michigan in their wake. Noyes picked up two firsts, a third and a fourth, while Nichols captured a third, two fourths and a sixth.

Cold, but breezeless morning airs yesterday made the three elimination races anybody's bet, but Harvard qualified for the finals by taking third place in its division.

Crimson Led After Third

The afternoon sail-offs saw the Crimson team a momentary leader before they were nosed out by the Hanoverlans. Princeton forged ahead for the first two races but were swamped under in the latter part of the day.

Harvard's hopes looked brightest after the third race when it paced the fleet with Dartmouth next, but when the final tallies were figured, the Indians had 86 points, Harvard 83, and the Tigers 80.

No other college threatened the leaders, the others including Navy, Yale, Brown, and M.I.T. Williams carried off the consolation contest for those who did not survive the morning preliminaries.