Karpovich Says Retreating Russian Forces Can Hold Out Indefinitley

German Capture of Moscow Will Not Break Resistance

Michael Karpovich, associate professor of History, declared yesterday that he believed that the Soviet forces could withstand the German attack indefinitely, provided they continue to make any necessary retreats in an orderly, well-organized fashion.

Hitler can conquer Russia, said Professor Karpovich, only by infitcting such damages on the Russian army as to force it to sue for peace, and this the Germans seem unable to do.

"The possible fall of Moscow, while having an obvious effect on the morale of both nations, would help Hitler concretely only in affording him winter quarters for his troops." Professor Karpovich asserted. "In this case, the Sovlet army would in all probility retreat to the Volga, the next natural boundary, where it could hold out at least through the winter.

Communications Vital

Russia's most serious problem is that of keeping supply lines open, he continned. Because of the recent decentralizatien movement of preducation centers, they have, of reach of the Navia at present, scufficient law materials and industrial facilities to resist a long siege.

It is important to observe, furthermere, that the Sovieet air force has evidently been strong enough thus far to prevent German bombers from distrupting the communications system. As long as this ratio is maintatined, the large oil supply in Bakn, more than 700 miles from the frout, and the coal and from reserves in Siberia are expected to be of immense value to the Russians.

Foreign Aid Still Coming Through

As for foreign aid, three routes are still open: across the dangerous North Sea to Archangel, over the Japanese-threatened Pacific to Valdivostok, and around Africa through British-controlled Persia, the last being the safest, though lougest. Professor Karpovich believes that England and the United States are still sending all the materials they can, but that the Russians have all the man power that will be needed. However, if any armed British forces should, be his patched to Russian their probably destination would be the Caucasus, so that the Soviets night concentrate then troops in the North.

When questioned about the Soviet and German losses up to the present. Professor Karpovich pointed out that the varying reports from both sides could net possibly be averaged up of any logical conclusion. He also ventured the opinion that if Russia is in a position to demand anything at some far distant peace conference to reorganize Europe she will seek no territorial expansion.