Donahue Leads Crimson to Win Over Army Trackmen

Harvard came off with a 46 1/3 to 44 2/3 triumph over the Army trackmen at West Point Saturday afternoon by virtue of a win in the one lap relay and six much-needed points in the broad jump. Valuable points in the hurdles, the pole vault, and the high jump early in the afternoon kept the Mikkolamen close to the Cadets until the last two events.

The Watkins, Corbett, Pirnie, and Donahue foursome won the final relay by about ten feet in 2:13.2, and Pirnie squeezed out a third in the broad jump. Bob Partlow won the event with a leap of 22 feet five inches. Previously, he and John Bunker had tied for first in the high jump.

Captain Don Donahue swept to victory in both the 80-yard low and 60-yard high hurdles with Sophomore Don MacKinnon taking a pair of thirds. Dick Pfister won the shot put, and John Shattuck was third. Crimson sprinters Charley Smith and Doug Pirnie were slow in getting off their marks in the 60-yard dash and did not do as well as expected. Pirnie managed to pull up to second at the finish, but Smith had too much of a handicap from the start to get in the money.

The mile and two mile runs and the three lap relay were swept by the Cadets, giving them 22 points to Harvard's one and making it possible for them to lead most of the way in the point scoring despite a seven to four disadvantage in firsts.