CRIMSON HOOPMEN TOPPLE BIG RED UNBEATEN MERMEN FACE INDIANS

Cocky Cornell Gets Short End of 30-28

By A. EDWARD Rowes

None other than the Big Red basketball team from-Cornell was the upset victim of Coach Wes Fesler's forces as the home team triumphed 30 to 28 last night before a capacity crowd in the Indoor Athletic Building.

It was the first league win for the Crimson in four league starts, and it was even more significant coming against the strong, second-place Cornell team.

Play began at a very fast clip with each team matching the other point for point. About midway through the first period, Cornell jumped to an 8 to 5 advantage, only to succumb to the determinel Harvard attack. From this point on, it was Harvard's game, although the visitors managed to lead once more later on.

Jolly Out on Fouls

Ken Jolly, Cornell high scorer who was limited to four points in the game was forced out on fouls near the end of the first stanza. This led to a Crimson scoring surge personally conducted by Joe Romano and Ed Buckley which put the home team ahead 17 to 13 as the half ended.

Harvard couldn't seem to get going as the second half started, and the Ithacans soon forget ahead 22 to 21. Ed Buckley nipped their chances by tying it up with a foul shot, which caused Cornell the loss of their second high scorer, Howie Dunbar.

With eight minutes to go, Captain Franny Simpson's forces started the rally which eventually won the game. Ed Rothschild sunk a couple of foul shots, while Romano, Scully, and Buckley added to the Crimson total.

Four Point Lead

Harvard led 30 to 26 with one minute to go, but could not keep possession of the ball. Jim Bennett grabbed the ball in a breakaway and sunk a beautiful field goal only seconds from the end. The game ended with Harvard in possession of the ball.

In a preliminary contest, Coach Skip Stahley's potent Freshman outfit added another win to their record, which includes only one defeat. The Boston Boys Club was the victim, to the tune of 41 to 29. Jack Torgan, with 12 points, and George Burditt, with 11, were top scorers for the home forces.