Former Defense Department General Counsel Appointed Harvard’s Top Lawyer

Democracy Center Protesters Stage ‘Emergency Rally’ with Pro-Palestine Activists Amid Occupation

Harvard Violated Contract With HGSU in Excluding Some Grad Students, Arbitrator Rules

House Committee on China to Probe Harvard’s Handling of Anti-CCP Protest at HKS

Harvard Republican Club Endorses Donald Trump in 2024 Presidential Election

PRINICIPIA FELICITATIS

In these days of wordy discussion over the relative merits of Concentration and Distribution, we tend to forge the Harvard of fifteen years ago, a university where students chose their courses not so much for the subject matter as for the teacher. It was the era of Kitty and Copey and John Livingston Lowes. Perhaps the greatest of them all was Albert North Whitehead, professor of Philosophy, who is celebrating his eightieth birthday today.

Professor Whitehead has contributed as much to the intellectual growth of the University as any teacher who has graced the Yard in all its three hundred years, but his fame doesn't rest on teaching alone. He has the rare combination of teaching ability and creative genius. The tradition of his Phil 3 may last as long as Harvard, but his "Principia Mathematic" and his "Process and Reason" will last as long as thought. His work in the correlation of science and philosophy have earned him a position among the greatest thinkers of our time. We wish him a happy birthday and many more like it.