FIVE DEFEATS BIG RED, PENN DURING TRIP

Climbs Into Fourth Place Of E.I.L.; Ed Buckley Stars

By David B. Stearns

Led by Ed Buckley, who alone accounted for 38 points, the Wesfeslermen over the weekend scored two spectacular wins at the expense of Cornell and Penn, and hoisted themselves up two rungs in the Eastern Intercollegiate League into fourth place.

Trailing by nine points with only two-thirds of the final period remaining, the Crimson squad suddenly came to life and nosed out the favored Big Red of Cornell 43 to 40 in Friday night's thriller at Ithaca.

The turning point of the uphill fight came six minutes from the final gun when lanky Howie Dunbar, who had scored 20 points for the Ithacans, went out on fouls. He had been poison to the Crimson all night and when he left the game the enemy attack sputtered and came to a standstill.

With a three point lead and four minutes to go Cornell started to stall but alert Bill Webber put an end to this policy. Retrieving the ball on a bad pass from Jolly, Webber made a fast break down the floor and bounced a pass through three racing Cornell defenders to Joe Romance, who flipped it through the hoop.

With 30 seconds remaining Bud Finegan and Buckley netted two final goals that gave Harvard the victory and practically wiped Cornell out of the running for the league title.

At Philadelphia Saturday night, it was a different story. Here the Crimson jumped into the lead at the outset and never gave it up, winning eventually by a ten-point margin, 44-34. Buckley stole the show, sinking the ball from all angles to rack up eight field goals in the first half, one in the second and two free throws for a twenty point total