Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

THE MOVIEGOER

"Four Mothers"

Alice Faye and Betty Grable are a tough-to-beat combination, especially when they have a half-dozen good tunes to plug. Of course the pleasant renditions of the leading ladies make them as good as new. Jack Oakie helps the show along with some skillful bits of light comedy and Esther Ralston, who was a star about half the length of time ago that the songs were hits, makes a short but sensational appearance. The plot is much older than the songs, but it is unimportant.

It is a pity that the ASCAP-radio feud will probably prevent any of the tunes from staging comebacks. If it weren't for the strike that the networks are planning to impose on all Society-owned songs starting next week, practically any one of the tunes might become a hit for the second time in its life. The strike will be a blessing in one way; we will not be fed a diet of "America, I Love You," the 1916 edition of "God Bless America."

The companion piece at the Met is "Murder Over New York," in which a new Charlie Chan tangles with a sabotage gang. The new Charlie runs as strongly to proverbs as did his predecessor, Warner Oland, but the late, unlamented fad of "Confucius Say's" has removed most of the punch from Oriental witticisms.