Hanford Repeats Warning Against Tutoring Schools, Reviews National Scholarships In Annual Report

Cram Parlor Use Permissible Only In Rarest Cases

Only in exceptional cases will the College grant permission to students to patronize commercial tutoring schools, according to Dean A. Chester Hanford. In his annual report, released in full yesterday, Dean Hanford reviewed the campaign against the tutoring schools and reiterated the administration's determination to suppress them.

The regulation adopted last May banning student use of cram parlors "should leave no uncertainly in the minds of students, parents, school masters, or the professional tutors themselves regarding the attitude of Harvard College toward the commercial tutoring schools," Dean Hanford said.

"So far as I am concerned, the case would have to be a very unusual one to warrant the granting of official permission to a student to make use of the resources of a commercial tutoring organization, whether it calls itself a school, a bureau, or an educational adviser or consultant."

Bureau of Supervisors Praised

Commenting upon the steps taken by the College to provide students with legitimate help in their work, Dean Hanford's report praised the Bureau of Supervisors, which last year assisted 63.2% of the men coming before it to improve their marks.

The supervisors and their director, Stanley Salmen, "have striven earnestly to improve the services which they provide for those undergraduates who have a ligitimate need for help," Dean Hanford said. "It has been their aim to offer advice and help of a constructive and permanent nature rather than to provide a crutch or 'litter' to support the student temporarily."

Also receiving special mention in the report were the Remedial Reading Program, the Committee on the Use of English, and the provisions made by the Mathematics A staff to provide special consultations.