FRESHMAN WAITERS SAY REPORT ON POISONED FOOD IS WAY OFF THE TRACK

Call Dishes Sterile; Hint Trouble Not in Kitchen But in Storage

Objection was made to the report of the special Freshman committee on food yesterday in a petition signed by 20 student waiters from the Union.

Insisting that the food committee was mistaken and that the "real roots of the problem have not been touched," the petition takes up each objection of of the Committee in turn, refuting it. Concerning the problem of left-over foods, the waiters pointed out that, "to throw away foods would raise the cost of meals to Freshmen."

Continuing in the same vein, they defended the use of mechanical dish-washers in the Union kitchen, saying that "they completely sterilize all the dishes which are put through them," and they save as well.

The waiters insist the only satisfactory method of dishing out salad is by hand, and that all guests are given the same food as the students, although they "may, in certain cases, receive better service."

Accusing the committee of questioning only a few waiters, the petition states that "not enough were interviewed to give a true picture of conditions at the Union."

Kitchen is Clean

"We waiters find that the Union kitchen is a model of cleanliness," the petition continued. "The stove, which is cleaned before and after each meal, is greasy because it is impossible to prevent it from being spattered in the course of preparing several hundred varied orders. The personnel is more conscientious as to responsibility and cleanliness than the staffs of the majority of restaurants."

The students concluded that "if the food were contaminated in the Union, it was contaminated during storage, and we feel that the Committee is off the point when it recommends changed in diet and methods. The variety of the diet itself had nothing to do with the sickness, and when the Committee advocates a less varied diet, it does not represent the opinion of the Freshman Class as we have heard it."