WAYS TO KEEP HITLERISM FROM U. S. OUTLINED IN LEACH-THOMAS DEBATE

Isolation Advocated by Socialist Before Large Audience Last Night

With the sally that "this will be a war of college professors like no war in history," Norman Thomas debated United States foreign policy last night with W. Barton Leach '21, professor of Law, before a New Lecture Hall audience of some 800 people in addition to Crimson Network listeners.

"I suspect," said the renowned Socialist, "that what is now going on is a pretty complete smash-up of Western political organization. Since probably neither side in the struggle will emerge the victor," he continued, "I fear a Stalin victory over an exhausted world as much as a Hitler victory."

Cost of War

One of his reasons for standing aloof from Europe was the prohibitive cost of war, "there is nothing in the New Deal statement that we can have both butter and guns; inflation, false prosperity, and an inevitably lower standard of living are the sure results."

Thomas' other argument against a belligerent foreign policy was the racial bitterness it would arouse, the recent riots against Jehovah's Witnesses being an example of what Americans are capable of doing.

Balanced against Thomas' conclusion that "If Americans could muster nine-tenths of the bravery required in war, we could make democracy invincible," Professor Leach countered that "Hitler's threat of invasion or internal disruption must be removed in order that domestic problems be solved." Leach maintained that this must be done by aiding Great Britain to the limit.