"Frisky" Merriman Drops History 1 Post; Will Continue Teaching in Other Courses

Karpovich Probably Will Be Successor

Roger Bigelow Merriman '96, traditional head of History 1, will not be teaching the course after this year, he revealed last night.

"I feel that the time has now come when I should hand the course over to someone else,' he Gurney Professor of History and Political Science, better known to generations of Harvard students as "Frisky," announced to the CRIMSON.

Professor Merriman will continue to teach other undergraduate courses and will remain as Master of Eliot House for at least another year.

Karpy May Take Over

Michael Karpovich, associate professor of History, is expected to take over the reins of European History from the Fall of the Roman Empire to the Present Time, the University's largest course, which Professor Merriman has developed to its present position as one of the hardest as well as the most famous course in the College.

"I am extremely sorry to give up History 1, for I have been associated with the course in one way or another for the past 41 years, and have had full control of it for the past 18; I hate to break such a long-established tie," the Squire of Eliot House said.

After graduating from Harvard and taking his A.M. here, Professor Merriman went to Oxford to study at Balliol College. Their he was for two years a member of the Balliol crew which "swept the Thames."

He returned to Harvard for his Ph.D. in 1902. Since then he has received degrees from Oxford (D. Litt.), Glasgow (LL.D.), and Cambridge (Litt.D.). He is a Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur.

Professor Merriman will continue to give History 48 on the Spanish Empire, his own particular field in history. He will also probably give History 30, the Renaissance and the Reformation, which was given this year by John M. Potter, assistant professor of History and Literature, who will not be here next year.