WORK CAMP WILL BUILD DAM FOR N.H. TOWN NEXT SUMMER

College Students Provide Energy For P.B.H. Project

In response to a student demand last fall, the first work camp ever to originate in an educational institution will open in Grafton, N.H. next summer under the sponsorship of Phillips Brooks House and American Defense, Harvard Group, it was announced yesterday by Raymond Dennett '36, graduate secretary of P.P.H.

For the seven weeks between June 27 and August 15, 18 to 20 college men, including a maximum of 15 from Harvard, will reconstruct a dam which was washed out fourteen years ago, causing considerable crop damage since then by allowing annual floods to prevent planting.

Since last fall, representatives of P.B.H. have been locating possible reconstruction sites through the Water Resources Board of New Hampshire. Grafton was finally settled upon because there was no question of interference with local labor, and the citizens of the town were particularly anxious to have the work done.

At its annual town meeting recently, the town taxed itself to the extent of $1200 to provide materials and equipment for the project, and in addition it has put five houses at the disposal of the group, which will include, beside Harvard students, six to eight college girls.

From the social service worker's viewpoint the experience will be valuable for the opportunity it offers to become acquainted with the people of the community and their problems.

Deficits Underwritten

Possible deficits were underwritten for $150 by the Faculty Defense Group, and for $325 by a vote of the Brooks House cabinet approved by the committee. Each of the workers is to contribute $65, although scholarships may take a large slice out of the amount.

Camp policy is in the hands of a committee headed by Francis T. Spaulding '16, dean of the School of Education, aided by Dumas Malone, director of the University Press, Eliot D. Pratt '27, of Work Camps for America, Raymond Dennett, Thomas H.E. Quimby '30, assistant secretary of P.B.H., and Frederick R. Rosenberg '41, one of the originators of the plan.