Professor Cadbury Says British Are Being Hit Hard, But Expect Still Darker Future

Well-known Quaker Finds People Confident of Ultimate Victory

Although they are receiving terrific punishment, the British are holding out remarkably well, Henry J. Cadbury, Hollis Professor of Divinity, said in an interview recently after having returned from a six-weeks trip to England.

Professor Cadbury, who was investigating conditions for the American Friend's Service Committee, spent three weeks of his stay in London. He also visited other bombed cities such as Bristol, Birmingham, Coventry, and Southampton.

"The universities are carrying on as usual, and there are as many students in the university towns, such as Oxford and Cambridge, as there are during peace time. The only difference is that the men come from other universities. It is as if Princeton, Yale, and Amherst were to move in on Harvard, and use our class-rooms and other facilities."

"In spite of what the British have suffered from the bombing of their buildings and the sinking of their ships, they expect to suffer even more in the near future. They are confident, however, that they can stand it. They have supreme confidence in their air force and in their Prime Minister."

The government has led them to believe that an invasion is imminent, but they fully believe themselves competent to resist it successfully, he concluded.