TWO SENIORS WIN BOYLSTON AWARDS

Leon S. Lipson, Philip Thayer Take First Places; Five Awards Donated

Leon S. Lipson '41, of Newton and Leverett House, and Philip Thayer '41, of Worcester and Winthrop House, carried off the first prizes in the Boylston Speaking Contest last night. Arsen E. Charles '42, David D. Henry '41, and Robert B. Nichols '41 were awarded the second places.

Subjects of the speeches ranged from excerpts out of Sir Walter Raleigh's "The History of the World" to a selection from John Dos Passos' "U.S.A." Lipson recited from "Statement to the Court on Being Convicted of Treason" by Sir Roger Casement, an Irish patriot who was hanged during the last war, and Thayer chose parts of Stephen Vincent Benet's "Notes to Be Left on a Cornerstone." Charles took selections from a speech of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., while Henry quoted a section of Melville's "Moby Dick." Nichols, the first speaker, used T. S. Eliot's poem, "Coriolan."

Five Prizes Awarded

Two first prizes of $35 each, and three second awards of $25 each were given by the five judges. Bernard DeVoto '20 was the spokesman for the group, which included R. Ammi Cutter '22, Robert Frost '99, David McCord '21, and Kenneth B. Murdock '16. Robert S. Hillyer '17, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, managed the competition. Professor Charles Townsend Copeland '82, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, emeritus, was the honorary judge, while Langdon P. Marvin, Jr. '41, first marshal of the Senior Class, presided over the meeting.

Professor Hillyer said that this contest, the one hundred twenty-fifth, was "one of the best in both the variety of the selections, and the excellence of delivery."