NINE COMBATS CADETS TODAY

Crimson Begins Schedule Against Strong Army Foe

Turning away from Beantown with its Stanley Cup finals and City Series, Harvard sports enthusiasts are centering their attention today on West Point, where Coach Floyd Stahl and his Varsity baseball squad open their regular season against a strong Cadet nine.

Today's encounter will be the first of a series of acid tests for a nine that Stahl terms "a much stronger unit than last year's team." In four preliminary games last week in the southern trip the squad turned in a not-too-impressive record of one win and three losses. Two of the games were dropped by a margin of only one run.

Eric de Jonckheere, star Cadet pitcher who hurled the 5-4 victory last year, will again be in charge of the Army twirling chores this afternoon. He displayed mid-season form Wednesday as the West Pointers defeated a strong Lafayette nine 2 to 1 in their schedule opener.

Army's other veterans from last season's encounter with the Crimson are Dick Polk at short; hard-hitting Bill Garland in centerfield and Joe Ahern at catch. Ahern's hitting sparked the squad in the win over Lafayette.

The Stahlmen will be without the services of pitcher Charlie Brackell who was unable to make the trip, but other than that they are at full strength for today's game.

Jack Schwede, who showed up well on the spring trip, will prboably get the call from Stahl to handle the Crimson mound duties. Bud Waldstein also should see action on the hill with Bob Regan slated to do the catching.

Captain Freddy Keyes at short, Bill Tuly at first, Bart Harvey at second, and Gil Whittemore at third make up a better than average Crimson infield