Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Naval V-7 Program is Likely to Begin Soon

Requirements Are Stiffer, College Degree is Needed

Class V-7 of the United States Naval Reserve, which last year trained 5000 young ensigns, including a number of Harvard men, for service with the fleet, will probably reopen within the next few weeks, it was learned last evening. The tentative date for the plan's opening is about May 1.

Entrance requirements are to be more exacting than last year's qualifications in that a recognized college degree and several courses in high school and college math will be required. Further qualifications have not been revealed as yet.

In its inaugural year last summer, the V-7 plan was highly successful in training a large number of competent ensigns who are now giving efficient service in the United States Navy. Four months are required of each candidate before he receives his commission.

On ship a candidate is trained in the practical conduct of a craft's operation. He attends a formal series of lectures on gunnery, navigation, engineering, and seamanship. Mastering these fundamentals, he puts his knowledge to practice and gains actual experience.

The second, third, and fourth months are spent ashore in the study of technical affairs and tactical theory. At the end of the fourth month, a candidate receives his commission as ensign and may apply for active duty in the United States Navy.