Oarsmen Win Four Races To End Engineers' Threat

Freshmen Lose As Jayvees, 150's, Win

By Henry N. Platt jr.

Despite gloomy pre-race forecasts, and a northwest wind which turned the Charles into a cross-course chop last evening, Tom Bolles' Varsity eight chalked up a decisive length and a half win over M. I. T., and left B. U. far in its wake. With the Jayvee and 150 pound boats following suit, the Crimson took four of the five races, and killed the best chance M. I. T. has had of winning the Rowe Cup.

With two of the three cup races already in Harvard's hands, the Varsity lined up at 6:30 o'clock under slightly more favorable conditions than the earlier races. Pulling away to a deck-length lead on the racing start, Bolles' oarsmen dropped down to 34, and Held their scant advantage for the first quarter.

Crimson Outpaces M. I. T.

Tech, as in most of the race, was rowing a visibly higher stroke, and was not spacing as well as Harvard. With B. U. dropping back into a deep third place, Colt Wagner settled down to a steady 32 near the Harvard Bridge, and pulled away to a three-quarter length lead.

Seeing Harvard still swinging ahead at a lower beat, M. I. T. made its bid for top honors just at the bridge, taking the stroke up itself, and foreing Wagner up to 34. Harvard held the same stroke to the very end, and drove ahead in the last five-sixteenths of a mile which round out the Henley course to cross the line in 6:56.2, nearly two lengths ahead of the beaten Engineers.

150's Take Closest Race

The Varsity 150 pound crew provided the biggest thrill of the day when they differed from the usual two length winning margins, and fought every inch of the way to take the photo finish by a slim two-tenths of a second.

At the middle of their race, the 150's were trailing M. I. T. by about three-quarters of a length, but as they drew into the last quarter, they sprinted ahead, and were still pulling away at the finish. The Jayvee crew followed up the 150's win, beating out M. I. T. by a full 10 seconds.

Rowing in the wake of an eight length lead scored by the Harvard Jayvee 150's, the Freshman crew broke a long series of straight wins, and finished two lengths in the rear.