SHAKE-UPS, UPSETS KEEP HAINES GUESSING ABOUT FIRST FIFTIES

Abbot's Eight Will Oppose Tech, Cornell Tomorrow

By John C. Bullard

Once again Bert Haines, Harvard's 150 coach, has had to resort to a time-trial to pick the eight he plans to send against Cornell and Tech tomorrow afternoon. As a result of yesterday's race between the two ranking lightweight boats, the shell which he had previously considered his Jayvee outfit will defend the 150 record.

Their record has been unblemished for a longer time than any of the fifties likes to think about, at least until this season's schedule of stiff races is over. In Monday's thriller a gust of wind which threw a tired Tech crew out of kilter for a moment was responsible for the Crimson's winning margin of three feet, and in the final race of last year the distance between the M.I.T and Harvard bows was oven less.

After Monday's victory Haines decided he could get a faster eight by shaking up his first two boats, and as a result Johnny Abbot replaced Hal Fales at the stroke slide in the "first" boat and Bobby Lincoln went in at number four in place of Dave Woodbury.

For some reason or other Abbot's boat didn't click as Haines had hoped, and he had practically decided to give the Fales-paced "seconds" the call Saturday, depending on the outcome of yesterday's time-trial. In the crucial test however, Abbot's boat found itself and nosed out the seconds by a scant half length, winning the right to race tomorrow.

The Dick Swanson-Andy Gaudielle-Abbot combination which now holds down the stern three slides in Captain Soth Crocker's boat is a trio which Haines has been fostering for over a year. Last year they rowed in the same positions on their Freshman crew and worked out together all winter until on attack of the mumps put Abbot temporarily out of commission.