THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

As a British citizen and a believer in and worker for tangible democracy as opposed to the pseudo brand favoured by the small but tragically influential clique of imperialists which "runs" the British Empire, I share your resentment and dismay that such an extremely undemocratic and reactionary person as Halifax should be an honoured guest at Harvard's Commencement.

I would like you to realize that Halifax is not a representative specimen of the English people any more than Coughlin could justly be described as a "typical American", and I am only expressing a revulsion that is shared by the great majority of the people of Britain. They, unhappily, are not in a position to give expression to their feelings, consequently I feel that the least I can do is to repudiate this cold Tory, not only on my own account but for those who are silenced and terrorised by Emergency Regulations and similar repressions from demanding a delegate to America who would honestly and faithfully express the needs and hopes of the people of Britain and not just one small unscrupulous reactionary section of it.

Please believe me, I speak from a wide and varied knowledge of the people of Britain, there are men and women in that country today of courage and integrity and ability to build and construct--H. M. Ambassador Halifax is a very long way from approaching their standard--old England is not as decadent as you might suppose from your acquaintance with him. Jane Conrad.