ROOSEVELT MAY SPEAK AT COMMENCEMENT HERE

Subject to be Unity Of U.S. and England

Franklin Delano Roosevelt '04 will come to the Commencement exercises on June 19 and deliver an address on the subject of British-American unity, usually unreliable sources stated on Saturday.

The rumor was started by the Christian Science Monitor, which devoted a two paragraph item to the subject in a top-column, front-page story on Saturday. The Monitor gave no source for its story however, merely using the phrase "it was learned."

All of the Boston newspapers and the press services immediately called Harvard officials, but the latter were unable to confirm or deny the report. They stated that confirmation of such a story would have to come from Washington. It was admitted, however, that it was quite possible that President Roosevelt may come.

The Monitor Story

The Monitor story read: "President Roosevelt will visit Harvard University June 19 to take part in special alumni ceremonies symbolizing the unity of Great Britain and the United States, it was learned here today. Viscount Halifax, British Ambassador to the United States will also participate in the occasion.

To Address Alumni

"Both will give addresses to the Alumni Association in the afternoon together with Dr. James B. Conant, President of the University, and Governor Saltonstall. Lord Halifax will receive an honorary degree. Approximately 500 alumni are expected to attend."

The rumor that Halifax would receive an honorary degree has been in circulation for some time, although no mention had been made of the President. Believing that this rumor is well founded, the Student Union has already started a petition in opposition to giving Halifax a degree. The names of recipients of honorary degrees are never revealed until Commencement Day itself, however.