Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Ersatz Rubber Urged by Standard Oil President

Claims Synthetic Goods Are Often Technically Superior

In view of the political and military menace to America's supply of rubber from the Far East, Frank A. Howard, vice-president of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey, has proposed synthetic rubber production as the only reliable alternative, in an article printed by the current issue of the "Business Review."

Neither Firestone in Liberia, Ford in Brazil, nor Goodyear in Central America, he says, have been able to find a combination of soil, climate, and labor to compete successfully with the Far Eastern plantations.

"Ersatz" rubber is already being produced in this country by all the major American rubber companies and has proved even more durable than the national product for certain articles rung as gasoline hose, oil-retaining gaskets pump packing, deducing surfaces and bullet proof tanks.

Tires May be Synthetic

The use of synthetic rubber for automobile tires depends upon production in great quantity, so that costs can be slashed to approximate those of natural rubber.

In reviewing the seriousness of the rubber importation problem, Howard points out that "first of all, its continuing supply depends upon open sea lanes. Secondly, the annual trade balance has a debt of 100 percent of all rubber consumed. Thirdly, the world rubber market is not a free market but definitely a controlled market, with supplies fixed by agreement among the principal producing countries."