Harvard's Fifth Wheels

The shocks of the last few days have convinced even the dilettantes that their choice of courses must hereafter be influenced by more than individual whimsy. But few concentrators in Fine Arts, Literature and other "impractical" fields know whether they have any aptitudes which will keep them from being fifth wheels in the country's war push. Harvard can get off to a good start in its role as a University in war time by utilizing its facilities to give such men that information.

Coordinating Professor Casner's advisory bureau with the psychology department at the Hygiene Building would be an excellent means of salvaging brains that will otherwise be wasted in the ranks of the buck privates. The Department of Hygiene has effective aptitude tests--the Kuder test and the Strong Vocational Aptitude Test are among these. The most thorough-going vocational tests, such as those prepared by the University of Chicago, are efficient, but too elaborate to be tired here at this time. The Hygiene Department is already using the Kuder Test, which uncovers unsuspected interests and aptitudes by questions involving choice and preference. It can be given to a hallful of people in an hour and the results tabulated by machine in a day or two. The University should offer it in Emerson Hall some day soon on the same basis as the reading tests in September. With its results, plus a printed sheet drawn up by Professor Casner's advisory bureau indicating which aptitudes can be directed into fields useful to the Army and Navy, the interested Fine Arts major would have a pretty good line on what he can do to help.

The Freshman Class should be required out-right to take one of these aptitude tests before choosing fields of concentration in March. Thus Harvard's large group of drifters might be cut down in number. Too many men enter the College with set notions about fields of concentration instilled in them by their families and are never exposed to the possibility that they may have aptitudes in other fields.

Harvard must not subvert the democratic idea that we are supposed to be fighting for by requiring men to take defense courses; but it can indicate to those who are honestly interested what their role can be.