Six-Section Exhibition in Fogg Museum Features Work of Three American Artists

Sargent, LaFarge, Hassam Represented

Water colours, etchings and drawings of three modern American artists, John Singer Sargent, Childe Hassam, and John La Farge play a prominent part in the exhibition now on display in the Fogg Art Museum.

Part of a six-section exhibition, the works of these men include, among others, Sargent's "Arras Cathedral, "Garden of Florence," the water colour "Terminal State," Hassam's "General Andrew Jackson," "World's Fair, Chicago 1892," "Old Dutch Church, Fishkill," and La Farge's "Samoa," and "Turn of the Screw."

Silver Collection Included

Also shown in the display are examples of ornamental design in graphic art, a collection of silver by English eighteenth century silversmiths, early Islamic illuminations and paintings, in Krubbings of Cambodian relief sculptures, and a series of X-ray shadow-graphs, as a means of identifying painters' styles.

The graphic art collection features engravings woodcuts, and etchings of French, German, Dutch, and Italian artisans of the fifteenth through the eighteenth centuries. Reproduction of fountains, friezes, and the Second Leaf of the Cologne Bible are among the ornamental designs.

A method of revealing the true identity of an artist's work, X-ray shadow-graphs have proved, the Fogg exhibition reveals, that four paintings previously accredited to the artist Gorgione are not his. By imagining how to hold a brush, following the strokes in the shadowgraph print, a student can reproduce the size, shape, speed and direction of the artist's brush-stroke, an excellent means of study.

Islamio Manuscripts

Illustrated books and scientific manuscripts of the ancient kingdom of Islam are also on view. Dating farther back than the Chinese conquests of the tiny realm in the thirteenth century, the works clearly show the influence of the Oriental technique.

Not only English silversmiths, notably Hester Bateman, feature the collection of silver, but an American craftsman, John Bart, has several examples of his intricate workmanship in the exhibit.

Pictures of warriors, head-dresses, and charging knights mark the relief sculptures of Cambodia, which are on display for the month of January. All the other items will, be shown for two months, January and February.