RUSSIAN GIVEN AS INTENSIFIED 'WAR COURSE'

Course is Limited to 20; Will Meet 5 Times a Week

A course in intensive Russian to be given next semester was announced by the University late yesterday.

To be known as Slavic IR, it will be a middle-group course and will run for 16 weeks in two eight-week sessions from February 2 to March 27 and then, after the spring vacation from April 6 to May 29.

The announcement also stated that: "Enrollment in the course is strictly limited to 20 students, and preference will be given to Seniors now becoming eligible for military service and to students having an adequate knowledge of two of the following languages: Latin, Greek, French, German."

Meeting twice a day Monday through Friday, from 9 to 10:30 o'clock in the morning, and 2 to 3:30 oclock in the afternoon, Slavic IR will count as two full courses and will be conducted by Professors Cross and Lednicki, Victor De Gerard, F. J. Whitfield, and others.

Intending to train competent radio-listeners, censors, and interpreters, the course will emphasize a practical all-around acquaintance with Russian as used in daily conversation, in the newspapers, and on the radio. To this end, extensive use will be made of photograph records, specially prepared for the course, and other modern apparatus.

"While there is no guarantee that students who have taken this course will obtain immediate employment," the announcement said, "it can be said that the number of native Americans who possess such a command of Russian as this course will give is sufficiently small to place in an exceptionally favorable position those who have successfully completed it."

The first meeting of Slavic IR, a continuation of which will probably be offered during the summer vacation, will take place in Harvard 3 at 9 o'clock on Monday morning, February 2.

Mentioned as in the process of organization in the recent University pamphlet "Opportunities for Special Training During the War," Slavic IR is one of the many war courses that will be offered next semester.