University Files Claim to Estate

Alleges Providence, R.I. Violated Provisions of Will

Maintaining that Providence, Rhode Island, has violated the provisions of the will of the late Charles H. Smith, wealthy Providence philanthropist, the University filed suit last Thursday against the city to establish its claim to the estate, which at the time of Smith's death amounted to over $1,000,000 and now has an annual income of $100,000.

Before his death, Smith stipulated that his estate should go to his son Charles H. Smith, Jr., member of the faculty at the University of Colorado, and a Miss Rose Farrel. Upon their deaths, the estate went to Providence, with the provision that in the event the city failed to live up to the terms of the will, the estate should revert to the University.

Not specifying how Providence has failed to conform with the provisions of the will the University's attorneys will ask the United States District Court to declare that "this property is now vested in Harvard University."

Admittedly not permitting the city much leeway, the will limited Providence to expenditures for bulbs, plants, trees, and shrubs for Roger Williams' Park and money for the building and improvement of greenhouses in the park.

If the will does revert to the University, the estate will be used to provide scholarships for graduates of Providence high schools. In the event there are no suitable candidates, the estate may be used for any other purpose that the University deems fit.