VARSITY RACES HUSKIES HERE ON SATURDAY

Informal Affair Will Take Place of Cancelled KC Meet

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

For the third time this season, the Varsity track team will don their running pants for an informal meet, this time with the Northeastern cindermen at Briggs Cage tomorrow afternoon. The Crimson Freshmen will compete in the field events, the 300, 600, and 1,000 yard runs, but will be barred from all other activities.

The Varsity will concentrate in the mile and two-mile relays, where they will be up against such men as Mike Prodhosky, ICAA indoor 2-mile champion, and Ed Parker. The best race should be the mile, however, which will see Bill Palson and Captain Bob Houghton matching strides with the much-touted Carroll twins. Northeastern has an excellent high-jumper in Paul Hodge, who topped a 6 foot, 11/8 inch bar up at Bowdoin.

No times or scores will be released in this affair, substituted for the cancelled Knights of Columbus meet, which was scheduled for the Boston Garden, but was called off during vacation. Next time the Crimson will meet Northeastern will be in the spring in the Stadium when Harvard, Holy Cross and the in-town university will start off the outdoor season with another informal affair, along the lines of a similar one last year.

Next event on the program for the track team is the Millrose Games in New York on February 7, to which a couple of relay teams and several individuals will go. On the same day, the annual New England Weight Competition will be held on Soldiers Field featuring shot put and 35-pound weight events, and open to all New England colleges. There will be an informal high-jump, broad-jump, and pole vault competition at the same time.

After a series of three informal meets, two with Tufts, and one tomorrow with Northeastern, and several individual affairs, such as the New England Weight Competition and the Millrose Games, the indoor season for the Crimson track team will get under way on February 14 at West Point, where Harvard will race Princeton and the Army. No indoor events will be held here because Briggs Cage is too small to fill the requirements adequately.