Defense Service Committee Steering Men to War Work in Boston Region

Macgowan Elected Head As Group Made Permanent

Through the efforts of the Defense Service Committee, which has been recently established on a permanent basis, student volunteers are being secured for war work in the Greater Boston area.

Peter Macgowan '42, who yesterday was elected chairman of the committee, will soon appoint the member of the various sub-committees, which up until this time have either had only one member or none at all.

Although many of the jobs, such as telephone operators for the Red Cross, are purely for emergencies, some students will take up their positions almost immediately. Beginning today, Peter W. Fay '45 and Sedgewick Minot, Jr. '45 will start work for the Air Raid Prevention course in one of the University binderies at 880 Memorial Drive.

Committee to Work With Chauncey

The committee is working in conjunction with Assistant Dean Henry Chauncey's office, the clearing house for war work in the University. All emergency calls for volunteers will be relayed from his office to the proper members of the committee, which is under the combined sponsorship of Phillips Brooks House and the Student Council.

Questionnaire Distributed

Starting Thursday and for the next two weeks the committee will distribute a questionnaire throughout the University on the qualifications and interest of students in war work.

Questions will be asked concerning students' experience in vocations that range from Able Seaman to Home Pigeon Fanciers and from Metallurgical Engineers to masseurs.

Students will also be asked to list whether or not they have taken Air Raid Warden courses, first aid courses, and what foreign languages they can speak and write.

At the request of the Cambridge Community Fund, which is not only a local organization, but is associated with the United Service Organizations and the Red Cross, students will assist them in their annual drive this year.

In addition, one sub-committee under the chairmanship of Thomas Matters '43 will sell defense bonds and stamps. The stamps will probably be sold through the newsboys in the Houses and Freshman Halls.