Puritans and Deacons Win in House Football

By Melvin J. Kessel

Winthrop Recovers Kickoff

Accomplishing the unusual feat of scoring a touchdown on the opening kickoff which they themselves kicked to Dudley, the Winthrop House football team went on to swamp the Ramblers 18 to 0, while Kirkland was blanking Eliot 6 to 0 in the first two games of the 1942 schedule yesterday afternoon.

After a bouncing Puritan kick had gone into the Dudley end zone, the Rambler players stood around calmly waiting for the referee to put the ball out on the twenty, the usual procedure for a touch back. But Bill Apthorp, who was a little more familiar with the rules, especially the one that says a kickoff is free after it passes the enemy 40-yard line, rushed in and fell on the ball to give Winthrop six points.

Winthrop kicked off again, but after a few plays the hard-luck Dudley team fumbled and Winthrop recovered. In a few power plays through the center of the line, the Puritans drove to their second first quarter touchdown. In the second quarter fast wingback Joe Moore scored Winthrop's third tally on a long reverse.

Three 15-yard penalties for roughing the kicker kept Winthrop away from the Rambler goal line in the second quarter.

Kirkland Scores Through Line

Straight power, provided by a heavy, fast-charging line and a plunging quarterback, sparked Kirkland to a win over an injury-ridden Eliot squad, handicapped by the absence of its captain, Pete Dorsey.

In the second quarter Kirkland started to drive featuring line plunges by Mac Broderick and Dick Albion that culminated with Albion going over for Kirkland's only touchdown.

Eliot's chief threat was in the passes of Dick Chenoweth. On the line Dick Ambrose at end and Jack Forte, Freshman brother of Varsity captain Don, showed up well for the Elephants.

Today Dunster takes on an again reputedly strong Adams team that has won the championship for the past two seasons, and Leverett plays Lowell.