John Harvard's Home Site Becomes Boston Playfield

Turned over to the University by an anonymous private donor, the former site of John Harvard's house in Charles town will be made over into a play ground for the city of Boston, it was announced last night.

The property, which also contained the meeting house where John Harvard preached, is being completely converted at the expense of the unannounced benefactor.

Through special arrangement between the President and Fellows of the College and the donor, the new "John Harvard Mall" will be formally persecuted to the City of Boston for the use of the public and children of the city on completion. The date for the presentation has not yet been announced.

On the flagpole situated in the playground, the following tribute to John Harvard, the College's greatest benefactor is inscribed:

"One of the next things we longed for and looked after, was to advance Learning and perpetuate it to Posterity; dreading to leave an illiterate Ministry to the Churches when our present Ministers shall be in the Dust. And as we were thinking and consulting how to effect this great Work it pleased God to stir up the heart of one Mr. Harvard (a godly Gentleman and a lover of learning, there living amongst us) to give the one halfe of his Estate (it being in all about 1700 pounds) towards the erecting of the Colledge; and all his Library."