CROSS COUNTRY TEAMS UPSET YALE, PRINCETON

Phinney and Palson Split Second Honors

Surging back into the victory column after last week's defeat, the Crimson harriers yesterday scored a stunning triumph in taking both the varsity and jayvee Big Three titles at New Haven.

Roy Schwartzkopf, who only last week broke Leslie MacMitchell's course record, ran a brilliant race to finish first and chop ten seconds from his previous record. Schwartzkopf's time of 26 minutes 7 seconds is especially good in view of the fact that Yale's five mile layout is one of the toughest in the country.

Captain Fred Phinney and Bill Palson were the big factors in the Varsity, coming in 38 seconds behind Schwartzkopf to tie for second.

Harvard beat out Yale in the Varsity race by three points, 26-29, and thoroughly trounced the Orange and Black, 19-36. Yale's margin of victory over Princeton was 22-33. In the Jayvee meet, the Crimson nosed out Princeton, 33-34, and whipped the Blue, 21-40. Princeton trounced Yale 22-38 to finish second.

Finishing fourth was Castle and in number five spot was Bragdon, the first Princeton man to cross the finish line. Captain Bill Bird, last years's Big Three cross country champ, finished sixth for the Blue.

The rest of the Crimson squad was bunched closely together after Bird and made it impossible for Yale to gain the four points necessary to top the Harvard legmen.

Coach Jaako Mikkola was very satisfied with the form the teams showed in the meet, especially after last week's defeat at the hands of Dartmouth.

Mark Tuttle put on a great kick to cross the finish line for the Crimson in the shorter three mile Jayvee race.

Stocht of Princeton copped second place for the Orange and Black, while Schweizer of Yale finished third