100 Apply for Secret Airplane Spotter Duty

Volunteers Will Work for Boston Air Defense Wing

Over a hundred Harvard students volunteered last night for airplane plotting duty with the First Fighter Command at a secret "filter center" somewhere in Boston. Applications which the men filled out will be examined by military authorities before any are finally accepted.

Already many volunteers, including some individual Harvard men, have been working at the center, but this was the first mass enlistment. Two application blanks had to be filled out, fingerprints taken, and photographs made. The line in Emerson Hall took several hours to run the gaunt.

A battery of girls at typewriters took down statistics, after which applicants underwent prison-type photographs in front of glaring white lights. An oath of allegiance had to be signed, all the papers turned in, and the volunteers will now wait to be informed by telephone or letter whether they have been accepted.

The volunteers, who will not know until the last minute where they will work, may not even then reveal the center's location to outsiders. Wherever it is, their jobs will be to record no maps information regarding planes crossing the area under the jurisdiction of the Boston Air Defense Wing.