STAHLEY GIVES YALE ODDS, PRAISES JOHNSON STRATEGY

Umpire Opens Path For Richard's Tally

By Burton VAN Vort

"Naturally, I'm disappointed. As for the Harvard-Yale game, that's a toss-up, but Yale has more depth which should give them a slight edge," said Skip Stahley, Brown coach and former member of the Harvard coaching staff, during the customary after-game review last Saturday afternoon.

Stahley went on to single out Wayne Johnson, the Crimson signal-caller, for the generalship which he exhibited on the field during the game. "If Fidler hadn't been injured, Harvard would have taken until Christmas to score, but once Fidler was injured, it was smart of Johnson to call the next play through his left tackle spot," Stahley stated.

Richards Ran 48 Yards

When Skip said this, he was referring to the 48-yard touchdown run of tailback Don Richards, the margin of Crimson victory, which is still being discussed even though the game is now ancient history.

On the surface Richards' dash was not very different from other spectacular runs made practically every Saturday in the football season. Actually, however, no one is quite sure as to who blocked whom, where, and at what point in the play.

The play itself was an off tackle smash through the right side of the line. Right guard Sid Smith and blocking back Swede Anderson then did a superb job of belting Brown's left tackle, Don Corzine, who had substituted for Fidler, out of the way.

Cummings Took Out Center

Right end Len Cummings proceeded to flatten the middle backer up, center Lou Regine, and the short-side guard, Charley Gudaitis, pulled out of the line and raced into the secondary. Meanwhile Richards was streaking through the whole Brown team with tailback Hank Margarita the only man between him and the end zone.

The question is: who took out Margarita? Margarita said Gudaitis did, and the coaches decided after the game that it could have been no one but Gudaitis. Gudaitis himself was kind of hazy about the whole play, but thought that he had blocked the Bears' fullback, Dee Savage.

The best evidence presented to date, however, is a picture printed in a Boston paper which shows conclusively that it was none other than Umpire W. J. Pendergast, running low and fast to keep up with Richards, who threw one of the finest blocks of the afternoon on Margarita, thus removing him from the play.

The movies will undoubtedly have the last say on the matter. Until they appear, "who blocked Margarita?" remains the mystery of the week