MERGED DRAMA GROUPS GIVE PLAY NEXT WEEK

With the first presentation in English of the new Russian play, "Mashenka," the Harvard Dramatic Club and the Radcliffe Idler will open their first season as a merged group. The play will be presented on December 2, 3, and 4, at Brattle Hall.

Author of the work is Alexander Aflnogenov, chiefly known for his heavier plays, including "Fear," which was presented in this country a few years ago. "Mashenka," a lighter piece, was written a year and a half ago, just before his death in a Moscow air raid.

Students of the Dramatic Club said they were a bit dubious about the merger at first, but after looking over the girls who tried out they decided there might be something worth while on Garden Street, after all.

Playing the title role will be Anne Putnam, Radcliffe '46, one of the few Freshmen over to take the lead in an Idler play, with Emanuel S. Weisgal '45 playing opposite her as grandfather. The supporting cast includes Donald S. Gair '45 as Leontd, Gortrude Wind '45, Idler ruaiustay in several past productions, as Mashenka's mother.