Morize Analyzes African Campaign

Says Darlan Should be Shot By French in Network Talk

"I am patiently waiting for the day when we get the news that Darlan has been shot or hanged by French patriots," said Andre Morize, professor of French literature, in an interview over the Crimson Network last night.

Morize expressed great joy at the invasion of Africa, calling it "the first decisive step toward victory," and towards the liberation of his country. But looking at the general aspects of the military situation, he stated that much of the hardest part of the fight is ahead.

Terrain Bad

Morize, himself, was optimistic about these operations, even though he realized that the terrain in the battle-grounds of Tunisia is disadvantageous to offensive warfare because of its natural fortifications of desert rock.

Turning to the political side of the occupation, he described the French of North Africa as semi-Fascists, welcoming Petain's decrees, his anti-Semitism, and his general political theories. These were only the residents, however.

Army Replaced

The Army of the region was until a short time ago sympathetic to the Allies. But it was replaced, so that, when the AEF and the British forces landed, they "found there an armed force composed of officers absolutely in the hands of Vichy."

Darlan was therefore an essential key in the quick conquest of North Africa since he could control both the people and the army. The use of Darlas was therefore a brilliant coup on the part of General Eisenhower, whose conduct of the campaign received many compliments in Morize's talk.

In reply to a question about De Gaulle, he said that there was no doubt that the Fighting French would be on hand in the near future, since "for two and a half years they have prepared themselves for such a day."