SEXTET MEETS TUFTS FRIDAY

Paine to Stay at Defense; Starting Coalie in Doubt

By Irvin M. Horowitz

With a week of formal practice under its belt, the Crimson hockey team is rounding into shape for its first engagement of the season, a contest with Tufts at the Boston Skating Club at 5:30 o'clock on Friday. Coach John Chase's charges have been hampered slightly by a lack of ice, but the pucksters are expected to be a well-molded outfit when they face the Jumbos.

Any starting lineup for Friday's fracas is thus a very doubtful proposition, and it is a safe assumption that the coach himself is very dubious about the sextet which shall answer the referee's whistle.

Despite previous report that Captain Johnny Paine would be moved up to the Crimson front line, the puck-chasing Senior has been retained at his defensive post, and he is one of the only almost-certain starters on the club. Sharing defensive duties should be Sophomore Dick Mechom, with Olie Taylor and Carleton Burr prossing him for the job.

Three men are in a dogfight for the goalie slot. They are Steve O'Neil, who guarded the cage last winter. Goody Harding, former Freshman puck captain who was ineligible last year, and Gus Summers, who tended the most for last year's successful Freshman six. Any one of the trio may start against Tufts.

Up front, Maro Beebe, Johnny Burton, Caleb Loring, Al Everts, Tommy Ayres, and Bill Harding are all in the running, and they will probably emerge in some combination as the first two lines. Tom Cowen, veteran defenseman, is taking a month off to catch up with his studies.