HAND-PRINTED BOOK READY

Students Print Book With Old-Fashioned Hand Press

Scorning modern equipment as unworthy of the true printer's art, a small but resourceful group of undergraduates has been engrossed in the intricacies of hand printing, and has now completed the publication of its first book.

Entitled "The Reminiscences of Sarah Siddons," the as yet unpublished manuscript of the memories of a nineteenth century actress was acquired by the University last year, and has kept the amateurs printers busy since October. They have printed it entirely by themselves, setting the type by hand, and using a press that dates from about 1800.

Project Almost Pied

Working under the direction of a professional Boston printer, the group encountered numerous obstacles that had to be overcome in the publication. "For example", one member reported, "we tried seven brands of ink before we found one that would do. Even then, the only way we could get hold of this variety was by having the contents of an old bottle analyzed and reproduced."

The volume is to go on sale Saturday in connection with the dedication of Houghton Library. While they have printed only 237 copies, the five undergraduates expect that their book, written by the famous nineteenth-century English actress, will be of considerable value to scholars.

Any other students interested in the art of printing are invited to join the organization, whose headquarters are in an obscure corner of Widener Library. Members have not yet decided what their next publication will be.