Spaulding Describes Army Education Plan

Teacher Association Greets Over 1000 At 51st Session

Plans for a new War Department educational program to provide soldiers in camps and overseas with a "usable introduction" to the language and character of foreign land, were revealed Saturday by Dean Spaulding of the Graduate School of Education, on leave of absence as Civilian Consultant in the special services branch of the War Department.

Dean Spaulding spoke to more than 1,000 New England school executives and teachers assembled in Cambridge for the two-day session of the 51st annual meeting of the Harvard Teachers Association.

Correspondence Courses Planned

The program of study described by Spaulding will give instruction by correspondence to soldiers during their spare time in subjects such as English, mathematics, scientific, vocational, and technical courses.

Courses, to be administered by an Army institute, which will be established at the University of Wisconsin, and by about 80 other cooperating colleges, will be as nearly "self-teaching" as possible. Spaulding also said that these courses would later be accepted for credit in high schools and colleges.