PERKINS REVEALS NEW NAVY PLANS

End of V-7 Near; Deadline on May 1

V-7, the program begun last year to prepare college graduates for commissions as deck or engineering officers in the United States Navy, will be discontinued on or about May 1, Elliot C. Perkins, head of the newly-instituted V-1 program at Harvard, announced yesterday.

Perkins added, however, that until May 1 the Navy is decidedly anxious to talk to present Juniors, present Seniors and recent graduates about enrollment in V-7, but for present Sophomores and Freshmen, V-1 will, in the future, be the only method for getting a commission in the Navy.

Quota Almost Filled

Apparently, the Navy has set itself a certain quota of V-7 enrollees to fill. While that quota has not yet been completed, both Perkins and Professor A. James Casner of the War Service Information Bureau feel that it will be filled by May 1.

The situation for present Sophomores was also emphasized by Perkins. They will be examined on March 1, 1943, and they must pass both the physical and mental examinations for V-5 or V-7. It is expected that provision will shortly be made for Sophomores now over 20 years of age, who, under the existing regulations, are barred from V-1.

This means that those Sophomores whose accelerated programs will graduate them in June, 1943, can be assured of graduation, if they have enrolled in V-1, whether or not they qualify for V-5 or V-7.