8 Juniors Chosen In First Election For Phi Beta Kappa

Men Represent Many States and Activities

The first eight men from the Class of 1943 were elected last night to Phi Beta Kappa as members of the Junior Eight. Representing various fields of concentration, the eight men come from seven different states and have been active in many outside activities since they came to College.

The following were elected:

Adelbert Ames 3rd of Eliot House and Hanover, New Hampshire. A concentrator in Biochemical Sciences, he has held a Harvard Prize Scholarship for three years, was a member of the Union and Smoker committees, and is now on the Eliot House Committee and the Student Council. He has been on the ski team for three years and was captain his Sophomore year. He is also president of the Glider Club, and a member of the Signet Society.

Frederic Cunningham, Jr. of Dunster House and Springfield Center, New York. He concentrates in Mathematics and has been a member of the University Orchestra and Pierian Sodality for three years.

Robert G. V. Dallahan of Adams House and Canton, Massachusetts. His field is Classics and Comparative Philology.

Milton Hamolsky of Lynn, Massachusetts. He has been Group I since he entered College and won the Elizabeth Wilder prize his Freshman year. He concentrates in Biology.

Isidore I. Hirschman; Jr. of Lowell House and Huntington, West Virgina. He is a concentrator in Mathematics.

Robert S. Schwontes of Lowell House and Lancaster, Wisconsin. A National Scholar for three years, he won the Jacob Wendell Scholarship last year and concentrates in History and Literature. He was also a member of the Union Library Committee his Freshman year.

Carl B. Seligman of Kirkland House and Dinuba, California. A Physics concentrator, he has held a Harvard Prize Scholarship for three years. He rowed on the Combination boat his Freshman year and is now a member of the Varsity crew squad.

William McN. Thomson of Lowell House and West Palm Beach, Florida. A concentrator in History and Literature, he has been a National Scholar for three years. He won the Wendell prize and the annual award of the History and Literature Department for 1940-41. He is a member of the German club and was on the Council of History and Literature Concentrators last year.