Waldstein Almost Wins Shutout Against Columbia as Varsity Triumphs 11 to 1

Sloppy Play Marks Lions' Gain in 9th

By J. ROBERT Mcskin

For the second time in a row Mort Waldstein, Crimson strikeout specialist, had a shutout practically cinched going into the last inning and then blew all chances for a clean slate with a sloppily-played ninth.

Waldstein's hurling and the Varsity's hitting were the highlights of the Saturday slaughter of Columbia by 11 to 1. The Junior southpaw whiffed 10 Lion butters, five of them in succession in the seventh and eigth frames. In addition, he gave only one pass and six scattered hits. Not a single enemy reached third before the final rally.

Barnes Hits Only Extra-Bagger

At bat the Crimson put on a thrilling exhibition collecting 11 singles and a two-run double off the bat of Bill Barnes in the eighth. Waldstein, Barnes, Gerry Callanan, and Gil Whittemore each totaling a pair of hits. For Waldstein it was a perfect day with two hits, two walks, and a sacrifice bunt which set Brooks Heath and Gil Whittemore in scoring position.

The game was spotted with errors, five for the visitors and three for the Crimson. More than half of them were in the hot corner where Whittemore and Sandy Macmillan each miscued and Columbian Joe Anderofsky missed three. Barnes dropped an important fly in the ninth for the third Harvard error.

The Harvard summary:   ab  r  h  po  a  e Heath, cf  4  2  1  1  0  0 Waldstein,p  2  2  2  2  2  0 Harvey, 2b  3  2  1  3  2  0 Fitzgibbons, 1b  4  2  1  7  0  0 Barnes, rt  5  1  2  3  0  1 Clay, If  5  0  1  0  0  0 Hausserman  0  0  0  0  0  0 Callanan, c  5  0  2  9  1  0 Drake, ss  4  0  0  2  3  0 Whittemore, 3b  4  2  2  0  1  1 Macmillan  0  0  0  0  1  1 Totals  36  11  12  27  10  3