1500 Yardlings Mob Union for Smoker as Rain Prevents Riot

Songs, Beer Mark Annual Festivities

A crowd of Freshmen, 1500 strong proved the inadequacy of the Union last night as tables were smashed and flowing beer soaked the floor, with Jinx Falkenburg and other stellar attractions proving the only forces which could keep them under control.

The brawling started even before the program, when the fifteen hundred or so spectators were caught in the bottleneck at the front door. It continued sporadically during the night, whenever the scheduled performers failed to show up on time.

Falkenburg Feature Attraction

Jinx Falkenburg, introduced as "the girl with the big spread in Life," was the feature attraction, and made the affair a minor epic of frustration when she failed to get kissed, although it was a touch-and-go proposition several times during her time in the spotlight.

Aside from Jinx, the features of the program were the Jones Brothers, Beatrice Kay, Arthur Blake, and Ann White. The Jones Brothers were the first outside entertainers on the program, after Oliver D. Filley, Jr., chairman of the Jubilee Committee, had filled in with piano playing, and Lieutenant F. T. Donahue and Ensign Gus Zitrides of the Navy had given the only serious talks of the evening.

Blake Mimics Notables

The jiving brothers gave their usual assortment of hot vocals, and added an original feature in a patriotic vein entitled "Sap Up the Japs." After they finished their encores, the master of ceremonies, Mickey Alpert, arrived and introduced Arthur Blake, another of the evening's stars.

Blake started off with an imitation of Ralph Morgan which became a mimicry of Mae West, which was even better than his celebrated impersonation of Mrs. Roosevelt.

Rioting Flares Up

He was followed by Lucille and Eddie, singers, and then the biggest wait of the evening. First Budge Alcorn entertained, then Filley came on again with more piano, including the beautiful "Body and Soul." When he stopped, the rioting started up again. Ice cream, of all things, started it when Joe Eldredge began throwing the bricks of cream to the hungry Yardlings et al.

Wally Borg, the big boy who played with balloons, saved a lot of Bursar's cards by arriving after a half hour of disorganized entertainment. Ann White, singer of "sophisticated songs," sang a few, entitled "Oh Mr. Hoover," "Queenie's Quaint," "Susie Smith," and "It's Too Good for the Average Man."

Jinx Enters

Then came Beatrice Kay singing the songs of the "Gay Nineties" and then another Filley-filled lapse. Then came Jinx.

After some impromptu introductory remarks, there was a contest to determine her leading man in a skit that led up to a clinch and didn't arrive. Don Cottrell, Andy McCullough, and Joe Minot were chosen to compete in the finals, with Minet the winner and the closest to osculation.

When Jinx left, there was a mad stampede toward the Common Room and beer. One table and innumerable spectators were trampled in the dust. One intelligent Yardling came fortified with peach brandy; while about 25 others joined in kidapping a whole keg of brew.