'45 RED BOOK WITH WAR THEME APPEARS JUNE 4

Yearbook Describes Harvard Transition

A Freshman Redbook with a vitally new format and a powerful theme of Harvard in transition will appear on June 4 after eight months of invention and production by the '45 board, Editor George Hooper announced last night.

Two departing Deans are the recipients of this year's dedication, with Christopher Huntington and Richard H. Sullivan sharing the honor.

The war, which stepped in to make this the last independently-run Freshman yearbook for a long time, has also furnished the theme of the present volume. Harvard, says the book, has faced three great wars, the Revolution, the Civil War and the World War I.

War Changes Described

In each of these the College and above all, the Freshman class that entered with the war, underwent change. An introduction traces the history of those three classes, and the book itself is the story of the fourth, the Class of 1943.

Two completely new sections have been added to take up the pages liberated by placing nine Freshmen on a page instead of the traditional six. A lively division on Freshman courses will treat them in a manner different from the University's pamphlets or the Confy Guide, and at the same time attempt to give a true picture of the Freshman's intellectual position at this time.

Joe Reinhart Writes

The second new section is the Social, in which all dances during the year will be included, as well as the Smoker and almost anything else the Freshman does that is not recorded in the more conventional parts of the book. The Social section is entirely written by a first person essence of Freshmanhood.

Although the theme behind the book is serious, informality is the keyword in its expression. An informal innovation is the series of double-page spreads describing Freshman dormitories and the stranger events of their year's history.

Business Manager Jim McNulty has drawn in a pleasingly plump crowd of subscribers, who will receive as a reward for paying up early a copy of the yearbook with their names stamped in gilt on the front cover.