Nine Summas Are Awarded to Seniors

Of the 1825 degrees that were conferred, by Harvard University today in its 291st Commencement ceremonies, 718 went to Seniors, of whom 455 received the Bachelor of Arts and 263 the Bachelor of Science.

In the Senior Class, 327 men were awarded their degrees Cum Laude, nearly one half of the entire class. Eighty-six Ph.D's were presented, and for one of the few times in recent years, a Doctor of Theology was conferred.

The actual awarding ceremonies followed the ancient custom of a recommendation by the Dean of the School in which the candidates have been studying, and then the acceptance of the degrees for the group from President Conant by the marshals.

These receiving the highest honor degree Harvard can confer were: Benjamin B.Landing, Jr., South Bend, Ind., (Biology); Melvin Fields, Muncie, Ind, (Chemistry); Donald J. Patton, Cortaro, Ariz., (Geological Sciences); Jack M. Peterson, Portland, Ore. (Physics); Judson T. Shapliy, Reading, Pa., (Anthropology); and Keith R. Symon, Terre Haute, Ind., (Philosophy and Mathematics).