Free Parent Program Proposed by Edwards

Conference Advances Plans To Aid Tomorrow's Children

A four point program, including free parenthood, to aid in the establishment of a better world, was proposed by Newton Edwards of the University of Chicago Department of Education at the meeting of the third New England Conference on Tomorrow's Children yesterday in the Geological Museum.

To achieve "many personal benefits and a broad cultural advance," Edwards also proposed "the further extension of birth control information, the improvement of the environment, and the accomplishment of distributional reforms in favor of families with children." In speaking of the necessity for creating a new environment, Edwards stated, "Those individuals who are the carriers of the most desirable hereditary qualities are little likely to have families larger than average under conditions of poverty, ignorance, ill health and insecurity."

Missionaries Encouraged

Last night, Mrs. Alva Myrdal called for missionaries to teach our way of life to the people of the earth who are in the ascendancy. Speaking in the New Lecture Hall, Mrs. Myrdal, former member of the Swedish Population Commission, pointed out that "the era of our expansion comes to a close with the impending decline in our population."

"The only significant thing to remember is that as things are these coming people who will be expanding while we are contracting, do not have our standards of health, of education, of culture, of democracy." To teach them these fundamentals, she urged an "army of enthusiastic doctors, social workers, and missionaries." "Policing the world will not be enough."

Today's sessions of the conference continue the three round-tables from yesterday morning. The afternoon will be taken up with a symposium on "Family Living and Community Life." Closing the conference, Arthur E. Morgan, director of Community Service, will speak tonight in the New Lecture Hall on "The Part of the Community in the Transmission of Basic Culture."