Crimson Outslugs Lincoln Mohawks as Costly Errors Culminate in 3-2 Defeat

Berg Gives Only 8 Hits, Strikes Out 6

Trying to substitute pure power for the polish it lacked, the Varsity baseball nine was stalled Saturday afternoon by the veteran Lincoln Mohawks, 3 to 2 in the thirteenth inning. The excellent bat work of the Crimson could not make up for the brevity of the pre-season practice period and the Varsity contributed four telling errors to the Mohawks' win.

Harvard surged ahead in the second frame with a two-run rally which the Lincoln squad countered with a tally in their half of the inning. In the eighth the Mohawks succeeded in tying up the contest and went on to score the deciding marker in the thirteenth.

The winning run came after center fielder Walter Flynn pounded out a triple. Warren Berg on the mound downed the next two batters, but then pitcher Lefty Gudzinowicz lifted a fly to center fielder Brooks Heath. Heath took in the ball but then fumbled it and Flynn hurried home with the ball game.

Lower Half Does Slugging

Berg was more than adequate for the Crimson limiting the home team to eight hits and striking out six over the thirteen innings. At the plate Bill Barnes, Thayer Drake, and Paul Delahoyde each collected a pair of hits for the losers, including Barnes' triple and Delahoyde's double. Reputed sluggers like Ned Fitzgibbons and Captain Bart Harvey failed to find the ball.

One of the most pleasant surprises of the afternoon was the work of Sophomore Jim Gallagher at third base and at the plate. Not only did he inaugurate his Varsity career with a satisfactory performance in the field but totaled three singles. Vin Leahy, who- started in right field, was the only other non-regular to get in the ball game.

Silver lining behind the defeat was the realization that the direct cause of the disaster, Walter Flynn, whose triple resulted in all the bad news would be on the other side of the fence next fall. The Arlington football and baseball star will register at Harvard in September.

The Mohawks brought out an array of diamond stars for the Fourth of July benefit for the USO. Third baseman Murphy was a B. U. Varsity player, shortstop Dave Todd made history at the University of Virginia, first baseman Mara starred at Dartmouth, and 36-year old catcher Jim Dudley once were the Crimson.

The Harvard summary:   ab  r  h  po  a  e Leahy, rf  5  0  0  1  0  0 Heath, cf  5  0  1  3  0  1 Harvey, 2b  5  0  0  4  3  0 Fitzgibbons, 1b  6  1  1  16  3  1 Barnes, lf  6  0  2  1  0  0 Gallagher, 3b  6  0  3  4  3  1 Drake, ss  6  1  2  2  8  0 Delahoyde, c  4  0  2  7  0  1 Berg, p  5  0  1  0  2  0 Totals  48  2  12  38  19  4