Officials Urge Students to Keep Calm on Stimson Announcement

Nothing More Heard Here; Marines to Go

A belief that the student body should roll up its sleeves but keep its shirt on was the reaction of University officials to Secretary of War Stimson's statement concerning the Enlisted Reserve Corps.

The announcement came as no total shock to University Hall as the Dean's Office had long recognized the extent of the nation's manpower needs. A general fear was expressed, however, that the ambiguous generalities of the statement would encourage undergraduates to leave College without careful consideration.

Nothing New

No additional information or clarification had been received by yesterday by any Harvard official. President Roosevelt's announcement that 18 and 19 year olds would not be needed before 1943 was the last report out of Washington directly affecting the undergraduates.

Last night the United Press quoted General Hershey as saying married men would be drafted next year. This action could be taken, it was added, without Congressional action as current deferment of married men has been simply a matter of custom.

Marine Reserve Notified

Over the weekend it was also learned that students both in Cambridge and at Yale enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve had received their 60-day notice. This meant that the Marine Corps was warning its reservists that it may take up its option of emergency conditions.

Colonel Francis A. Doniat, professor of Military Science and Tactics, yesterday stated that he expected the entire problem to take time, as it is impossible "to get the entire youth of the country into the Army at one time." He indicated that he expected some deferments to be made.

Vague references to "quasi military" training in colleges probably do not mean the ROTC, Colonel Doniat said. "The ROTC has been considered a very good source of officers," he said, and will almost certainly be continued. Men in the advanced course are deferred under the provisions of the Selective Service Act, and are not affected by the calling up of ERC, but modifications of the entire Mil Sci program do appear very possible, he concluded.