SWIMMERS TO FACE BRUINS

Brown Squad Boasts Ace In Gosslor, Yearling Star

Brown's Bear, an animal which often shown a surprising amphibious ability, makes an aquatic appearance at the Indoor Athletic Building pool tonight, taking on the Crimson mermen in the second meet of the season for both squads. The first event on the program is scheduled for 8 o'clock.

Last year the Bruins came into Cambridge with big advance notices, and fell, 55 to 22 to Coach Hal Ulen's men. The story is the same this season, for the Providence club is blessed with a Freshman studded roster which includes last year's most talked of high school swimmen.

Gossler Visiting Ace

Carl Gossler, Brown yearling sprinter who has done the 50-yard event in less than 24 seconds, and the 100 in 52.9, pretty fair times in anybody's swimming hole, heads the visiting aces. John Paulson, a breatstroker and backstroker of note, and Bob Wanthouse, a Sophomore who is also entered in the backstroke event, may also prove troublesome to the Crimson swimmers. In their only meet this year, the Bruins defeated Spring field 41 to 34.

Coach Ulen, whose charges drowned M. I. T. 60 to 15 in pre-Christmas joust, has planned very few changes in tonight's lineup. "Big John" Eusden and John Watkins are entered in the 50 yard sprint and Eusden and Perry Stearns will swim in the 100 yard free style. Against the Techmen, Eusden took both these events.

Ulen's Son to Swim

Distance swimmers Dave Barnes and George Christman are the Crimson representatives in the 220 and 440 free styles, with Bill Drucker and Don Hartwell scheduled for the backstroke event. Don Ulen, the coach's son, teams with Frank Padgett in the breastroke, and Bob Aaron and Bill Hewes will do the diving.

The medley relay features Drucker, Stearns and Bus Curwen, jack-of-all-trades who strokes the Crimson crew for a sideline. In the 440 free style relay Ulen has a host of swimmers from whom to choose. Ozzie Morton, Bill Prier, Don Perry and John Watkins are all possible Crimson entries.

First League competition for the mermen comes Saturday night, when Pennsylvania's swimmers come to town. The Quaker meet will be the last appearance for two Ulen mainstays, Bus Curwen and Captain Bill Drucker.