FORMER EDITORS MARK CRIMSON'S 70TH YEAR

Conant Describes Crimson As Priviledge in Education

As President of the University I congratulate the Harvard Crimson on the Completion of 70 years of its history. As President Lowell once remarked, four years constitute the college generation. By that reckoning the Crimson, which has seen more than seventeen generations, is a venerable institution. It has watched many changes in the University, including the impact of three wars. Through all that time, it has represented freely the various shifts of opinion among the young men of each successive generation, and in so doing it has served well both its contemporaries and the University.

As a former editor of the Crimson, I send you greetings on a memorable anniversary. All who have had the opportunity of seeing the University through the Crimson's eyes have been especially privileged in their education; we all look forward with confidence to a continuation of its vigorous life both during the days of war and in the peace to come. James Bryant Conant '14,   President of the University,   Editor of the Crimson, 1914.